Prof. Alen Ožbolt
Academy of Fine Arts, Zagreb.
Academy of Fine Arts, Ljubljana.
Professional Experience and collaborations
2000: Visiting artist at SFAI, San Francisco Art Institute.
1984−1995: Performed within the artistic group Do You, Painter, Know Your Dues (V. S. S. D).
Since 1996: Worked as an independent artist.
2006–: Professor on first and second cycle studies of sculpture at UL ALUO.
2007-2009, 2013-2015, 2017-2019: head of the department for sculpture.
2009-2011, 2011-2013: Vice-dean for development issues.
Member of the Council for art at the University of Ljubljana, three years in a row, a year and a half head of the Council.
Led, coordinated, and contributed to the reforming of the first cycle and second cycle study programme for sculpture.
Also work as scenographer and designer.
1990–: designer of collections Analecta and Problemi.
Scholarships, grants and residences
Fulbright Grant, Institute of International Education, New York.
SCCA – Soros Centre for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana.
Art working scholarship, Ministry of Culture of Slovenia.
Accomplished numerous diversified national and international art projects and exhibitions.
Participated in Artist in Residence programmes: StudioProgram ACC Gallery, Weimar; ArtsLink, CEC International Partners, New York; Studio New York, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia.
2003: Received the Prešeren Fund award.
2002: Recognition for Important Art Works, awarded for the highest achievements in art by University of Ljubljana.
2017: Ceci n’est pas une photographie II.; Photon Gallery, Vienna, Austria.
2016: Land Art Live / Verborgen Landschap (art and landscape), Park Koningsweg, Arnhem, Netherlands.
2008: Impressions of Infinity/Image from Slovenia: Contemporary Slovenian Art, European Economic and Social Committee, Brussels.
2007: Nit/Thread, Carinthian Gallery of Fine Arts, Slovenj Gradec.
2006: Love is a Battlefield, Ulrich Museum of Art, Wichita State University, Kansas, USA.
2005: Kollektive Kreativität, Kunsthalle Fridericianum, Kassel, Germany.
2004: 7 grehov/7 Sins, Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana.
1999: Aspekte/Positionen. 50 Jahre Kunst aus Mitteleuropa 1949-1999, Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig, Vienna, Austria.
1999: Ars Aevi – Musem of Contemporary Art, Centar Skenderija, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
1997: Kartografi/Cartographers, Umetnički paviljon, Zagreb (also in Warsaw, Budapest, and Maribor).
1996: Občutek za red/The Sense of Order, Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana.
1996: 5. mednarodni trienale Ekologija in umetnost/5th International Triennial. The Ecology and The Art, UGM, Maribor.
1995: XLVI Beneški bienale/XLVI Venice Biennale, Slovenian Pavilion, Venice, Italy.
1995: 6.Trienale der Klein Plastic, Stuttgart, Germany.
1994: Laboratorium 94; Tatranska galeria, Poprad, Slovakia.
1994: Europa ’94, Junge europaische Kunst, Kunststlerwerkstatt, München, Germany.
1993: Europeans, Staerishe Herbst, Staadt Galerie, Graz, Austria.
1993: Aperto, XLV. Beneški Bienale/XLV Biennale di Venezia, Venice, Italy.
1988: The 4th Biennial of the Youth Culture of the Mediterranean Countries, Bologna, Italy.
Student exhibitions or student exhibitions, in which he was either student’s supervisor during the listing for selected domestic and international exhibitions, or organizer, co-organizer, or project leader
• 4th / FOURTH, exhibition of students of the 4th year of sculpture ALUO, Kresija Gallery, Ljubljana, 7-18. March 2007; supervisor and project manager.
• Annual exhibition ALUO 07, exhibition of undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Academy of Fine Arts and Design, University of Ljubljana, City Gallery, 15 October –11. November 2007; project manager at ALUO.
• Art and advertising, exhibition of 4th year students of sculpture, SOF-Slovenian Advertising Festival, Portorož, 12–14. March 2008; supervisor and project manager.
• Annual exhibition ALUO 08, exhibition of undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Academy of Fine Arts and Design, University of Ljubljana, City Gallery, 10. – 30. November 2008; supervisor of two participating students.
• Statue in a public space. Exhibition, Mozirje Library, April 23 – May 5, 2009; supervisor and project manager.
• Annual exhibition ALUO 09, exhibition of undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Academy of Fine Arts and Design, University of Ljubljana, City Gallery, 5 – 29 October 2009; supervisor of participating students.
• Pending, 4. Year of Sculpture, Project and Exhibition EU Office of the European Parliament, 6 May – 1 June 2010; supervisor and project manager.
• 4th year of sculpture, exhibition Controversy, Media Nox Gallery, May 6 – June 1, 2010; supervisor and project manager.
• Inter-actions, exhibition of ALUO master’s students, Miklova Hiša Gallery, Ribnica 1 July – 1 August 2010; supervisor.
• Vitamin 3 D, exhibition of students of the Master’s degree in Sculpture, Simulaker Gallery, Novo mesto, Ribnica 8 July – 23 June 2010; supervisor and project manager.
• Happy Ending, exhibition of 4th year sculpture students, Škuc Gallery April 1 – May 10, 2012; supervisor and project manager.
• Start Point, an exhibition of selected students of the ALUO art studio for the international Start Point Award, Miklova Hiša Gallery, Ribnica, June 14 – July 8, 2012; supervisor.
• Transitions, project, exhibition, event, EU Office of the European Parliament, 8 May – 9 June 2013; supervisor and project manager.
• OBIR Hotel project, international exhibition, participation of sculpture students, 17 May – 17 June 2013; supervisor and project manager.
• Start Point SLO 2013, exhibition of selected diplomas of ALUO art studies for the international Start Point Award, Miklova Hiša Gallery, Ribnica, June 20-July 21, 2013; supervisor and project leader at ALUO.
• On time, an exhibition of art students (painting, sculpture) of the Ljubljana ALUO in the Škuc Gallery, 15 May – 30 May 2014; supervisor and project leader at ALUO.
• Emerging artwork, Media Nox Gallery, Maribor from 9 December 2014 to 9 January 2015; supervisor and project leader at ALUO.
• ORTO-KIP / Orto forever, commercial project / order implementation of castings according to the live model for Si-Mobil advertising; August 2014, project holder and organization.
• Transfers, exhibition of students of art studies (painting, sculpture) of the Ljubljana ALUO in the Škuc Gallery, out of 5 students, 3 participating were sculpture students Urša Aplinc, Tanja Sabol and Tomo Stanič; May 28 – June 7, 2015, project leader and co-supervisor.
• Exhibition of students of the Department of Sculpture, ALUO UL in the UL Gallery at the Rectorate of UL, from 27 January to 27 March 2015, co-author.
• BICYCLE, Seminar and workshop for students of Sculpture / Master’s program II. degrees; execution of the statue and installation in public space 2016, supervisor and project manager.
• Kipaktiv – interventions in public space, Spatial interventions on Tam-Tam poster surfaces, October, November 2018, realized and set between 9-19. November 2018, supervisor.
• Marx after Marx: Kunst Marx, Interdisciplinary seminar for students of different fields of study / II. semester of school. in 20018/19, 14 June to 31 August 2019 at the Goethe-Institut Ljubljana, co-supervisor.
• Cooperation with Alkatraz Gallery project title: Empowerment of young artists / platform for Slovenian young artists, in a wider period of time – runs from April 2018 onwards throughout the school year 2018/19, co-supervisor.
International student exhibitions:
• Quoting Contemporariness, International Exhibition of Selected Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students ALUO UL, Universal Cube, Leipzig, 1. -31. May 2009; (supervisor).
• 4th year of sculpture, participation in an international group exhibition at the Academy of Fine Arts, Minan Sinan University, Istanbul, November 2009; (supervisor).
• Start Point, exhibition of the best diplomas of European academies, participation in the exhibition of a selected student of the 4th year of sculpture; GASK, Kutna Hora (2010 from September to October) (supervisor and project leader at the academy).
• Transform 2011, International students exhibition of Art Academies and Universities of SouthEast Europe, Bulgaria, Sofia, National Gallery for Foreign Art, Sofia April 2011 – May 2011; (co-supervisor and co-coordinator of the project at the academy).
• Transform 2012, an international exhibition of students of art academies in Eastern Europe; September 3 September 29, Thessaloniki, Greece Teloglion Foundation of Art, Helios Center for Engraving in Contemporary Arts Center, Thessaloniki; (co-supervisor and co-coordinator of the project at the academy).
• F.I.E.A., Festival International Des Ecoles D’Art, selected student of the 4th Year of Sculpture, international exhibition, Institut supérieur des arts de Toulouse, 28 September – 21 October 2012; supervisor of the selected student.
• Trans-Form / Transform in Art Education, Bucharest, Romania, 1 – 20 June 2014, Constantin Brâncusi Gallery, Palace of Parliament; (co-supervisor and co-coordinator of the project at the academy).
• Berlin Preview, participation of art students in an art fair, 19-22. September 2013, (co-supervisor and co-sponsor of the project at the academy).
• Transformation of Image, Zagreb, Croatia, October 28, 2016. to 20.11.2016, Exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art; (co-supervisor and co-coordinator of the project at the academy).
• SPACE IN CHANGE, international workshop on “art in public space”, the spatial context of the Museum Quarter and Metelkova mesto. The workshop took place from 4.10.-14.10. 20.19 in situ on the square, Museum Quarters and Metelkova mesto, performed at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design, Department of Sculpture; (co-supervisor and co-coordinator of the project at the academy).
Supervisor at the Prešeren Academy Awards
2006/07: Meta Kastelic
2008/09: Icarus Black
2009/10: Ana Kerin
2011/12: Tomislav Blaževič
Supervisor University Prešeren Awards
2010: For the group project / exhibition of the 4th year of Sculpture entitled “Waiting”, Information Office of the European Parliament in Slovenia, Ljubljana
Supervisor at the Postgraduate Study of the pre–Bologne Program (for masters)
2009: KUTNJAK, Živa. Applied materials and techniques in modern sculpture, master’s thesis (co-supervisor).
2010: JAHIĆ Sanela Fire Painting, master’s thesis, WeimarBauhaus University Weimar, The Faculty of Art and Design, (main supervisor), co-authors: Lisa Glauer, Ben Sassen.
2012: KONČIČ, Jasminka. Research of two-dimensional textile materials and processes of their transformation into three-dimensional form (supervisor).
2013: KASTELIC, Meta. Sensual in sculpture (supervisor).